In 1878, Richard Kershaw had the opportunity of buying part of the Well Holme estate. Seeing the opportunity of having all his business under one roof he bought the site and immediately employed local architect George Hepworth to draw up plans for his new silk mill.
In 1880, the mill was completed which he called Woodvale Silk Mills and was situated behind the present day police station in (Woodvale Road) Bradford Road.
This was by far the largest mill in the district and employed as many as 700 workers when it was running at full capacity. A workforce that had to ensure the 40,000 spindles were kept working.
He was considered to be a good employer, he was well thought of in his mill, around the community and by other mill owners in the area.
On Friday, December 27, 1985, large parts of the mill was destroyed by a huge fire.
St John’s Ambulance Brigade Band, many people would say they were the finest of its kind. It excelled in almost every competition it entered and when it was marching through the town everyone stood and took notice, stopping what they were doing just to watch. Such was its precision in marching, playing and deportment, a fine tribute to the young members of the band. Here they are leading the community day event at Smith House Estate in 1948.
One month into issue number 4 of my Brighouse & District Heritage Newseum local history and nostalgia magazine, already the first 250 copies have sold out and reprints will be on order in the morning.
Sadly V S Cycles shop in Bradford Road is no longer with us. But it is good to see the empty shop taken over, given a make over and is now the Brighouse offices of Harrington's Family Solicitors.
Too many towns have so many empty shops these days but here in Brighouse whilst we do lose some of our town centre traders for a number of reasons the vacant empty shop is soon occupied and another new business opens.
Welcome to Harrington's the new name on the high street.