The photograph is taken from Anchor Bridge looking towards what is now Thornton Square and was previously Holroyd Buildings prior to it demolition 1912 / 1913. This photograph is dated c1906. On the immediate left is the ironmongers John Francis Brown's. To a new generation of Brighouse residents from the 1980s this shop was known as Oddjobs. In this first issue we have the story from when John Francis Brown bought two cottages in Bethel Street and once he had developed them this was the business that many Brighouse residnets would come to know. The business grew rapidly once the business was moved to the familar Briggate site. The story ends with an interview with John Summerskill who sold the business in April and plans to retire.
Here we are again in 1959 this time with members of the Kathlyn Hobson School of Dancing. These were just a few of the members who took part in a dancing display in the Parish Hall Church Lane.
To see the bride arrive at the church in a white Rolls Royce is almost common place these days. In Edwardian Brighouse the first local bride to arrive in a motor car caused quite a stir.
This photograph of 1957 celebrated a big day in the history of the Old Bodleian's rugby union football club. This was the occasion when the club saw its new ground on land known in those days as Smallwood's Field, which is now occupied by the Sandholme housing estate, officially opened by the Mayor Councillor Harry Edwards.